Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Some tips for the new adventurer.

I thought I might start a few posts focused on the more positive side of public transportation after that run of gross-outs. So, for my first trick, I will provide some tips for the new adventurer.

First, welcome! You have embarked on a new adventure full of surprise, beauty, and danger! What better adventure that one that could start as close as outside your front door? Your first step is to determine your destination. Do you plan to use public transportation to go to and from work? Do you plan to use it for grocery and errand running? Or do you plan to be truely adventurous and go see the tourist attractions and other sights of your fair city?

Each type of destination requires different kinds of planning. For example, if you choose to use public transportation to travel to and from work, you will want to identify your start and end times, and compare those with the start and end times for the routes you plan to use. Some buses, like those running to my home area, stop fairly early, requiring I work within a very specific time frame. You will also want to look at means of transportation other than the bus. Is there a train or trolley in your area that could make your route faster or more pleasant? Can you use a bicycle for some or most of the route? How far will you have to walk to and from the stops? In my city, there is a free shuttle from the train to your work destination, but it requires reservations at least 24 hours in advance. I've never used it, since the train is more than twice as expensive as the bus. But it is an option. If you choose to use a bike, or have a large amount of walking before or after your bus ride, you will want to consider a change of clothes and other things, such as water, in your adventure bag.

If you choose to use public transportation for grocery and errand running, I highly recommend a wheeled cart, which you can usually find at hardware stores, in which to place the spoils of your adventuring. In places such as New York and San Fransisco, such carts are common since many people do not drive. In my city, they are used by the elderly, and so I do have to deal with some not-so-sensitive comments from my peers. But that just shows that they do not have the adventuring spirit. I feel sorry for them.

If you are planning on using public transportation to explore your city, I would highly recommend picnics and bicycles. This will greatly improve your experience of the chosen destination, and will allow you to spend a leisurely day adventuring. Also, it will save you even more money than what you are saving by not using your car.

Once you have selected your destination, plan your route. Usually you will be able to find tools online to help you plan your route. My city has a very easy-to-use online trip planner where I plug in my addresses and it gives me several route options. If your city does not have this, there should be at the very least some sort of telephone number you can call to obtain information. Be prepared with your exact to and from addresses and the day/time you plan to travel.

When you travel, there are a few things which might be good for you to take with you.

Snacks
Water
Umbrella
Reading Material/Entertainment
Mace or other type of personal protection
Cell Phone
Route Directions
Jacket
Comfortable Shoes

If you have questions, always ask the bus driver first. Do not trust that other bus riders will be able to help you to your destination. I can't tell you how often I've heard riders give out wrong information to lost souls. If the bus driver can't help you, call the transportation number and get help from them. If you get lost, it would be better to remain on the bus until you figure it out and then have to backtrack once it gets sorted. You do not want to get off the bus at the wrong stop and find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere in a dangerous place. Believe me. I've done it.

Every city is different, obviously. I live in a city where it hardly ever rains, so I can get away with forgetting my umbrella. It's not going to be a breeze the first time you try, especially if you've never done anything like it before. But that is precisely why it is an adventure.

Have fun!

No comments: