Friday, March 30, 2007

Gross-Out Part 2

My route is extremely long right now, so I like to get a spot facing forward where I can fall asleep if I want to without too much threat of falling over. The other evening I was forced to sit in a side-facing seat for much of the trip, and so was thrilled when a foreward-facing one opened up. I quickly moved over to it, opened my book, and began reading. When the bus got close to the end of the trip, I put the book away to sit quietly watching and thinking. It was then I noticed the woman in front of me. She had this huge mound of crinkly white hair that ran from the top of her head down to her shoulders and out in a semi-circle, making it impossible to see any part of her features. What I could see was that she was continually using her left hand to, um, clean(?) something on the left side of her head. (I'm eating breakfast while writing this, and am starting to be unable to finish my meal. Let that be a warning to those who read on.) She had a small tissue in her hand, and would either wipe her fingers on the tissue, or use her thumb to flick whatever might have been under her forefinger's nail. She would also use the tissue on her mouth and nose. At this point I was so completely grossed out that I couldn't look at her. However, if I turned my head away to left, I could see her quite clearly in the reflection. Moving didn't seem like a viable option either since there were precious few spots left, and besides we were almost there. I was feeling very nauseous from the whole situation, so I bowed my head down far enough so that not even my periphery would catch the slightest hint of her hand moving up and down, and I rode that way for the rest of the trip.

No comments: