Tuesday, May 24, 2005

This is getting to be annoying.

This morning after I got off the bus, this guy turns to me and says "I forgot to brush" and I'm like "hmm" and look away, I did that pursed lip raised eyebrows thing, and he's like "how are you?" and I said "fine" and he said "you don't seem fine, i would think you'd say pissed off" and I was just like "whatever", then he ran ahead and started talking to this other cute girl and she completely ignored him. So I get my coffee and go sit on my bench for my 30 minute wait, and he comes walking by again and stops and says "Can I sit next to you?" and I just shake my head no and he's like "Ohhhh who the hell are you?! I can't sit next to you." and then sees I'm reading Fight Club, says "scary bitch" and walks away talking loud about it. He then comes up and asks to use my lighter so I hand it to him and he says "Are there bathrooms in this mall?" and I say "I don't know, you'll have to check the directory" and he gives me my lighter and walks to the directory saying "You should get a job at one of those concierge things, telling me I don't know check the directory, I'm not stupid." Well why the fuck didn't he check it if he's not stupid? This guy looked like one of those frat boy douchebags that hangs out downtown with all the attitude thinking they can just chat up any girl they see and used to the drunk ones that giggle and flirt back. Ugh. I want to make a t-shirt that says somehting like "I don't ride the bus to meet men." on the front and "Please don't talk to me." on the back. It really creeped me out the way he was wandering around the edges of the little area I was sitting in, so I moved to stand by the other people that were waiting for the same bus.

This is following on the heels of about two weeks of avoiding a particular bus at a particular time. I was sitting at a stop about two weeks ago when a huge truck drove by and threw all kinds of dirt and rocks on me, so I his behind the bench. This guy who I've seen before comes walking up, so I lean around and warn him. He sits behind the bench too, and thanks me profusely. We chat for a bit, the bus comes, we get on and thankfully he doesn't try to sit next to me. The next day he talks to me again. This isn't so bad, except both times everything he says is a compliment to me, things like "You're so pretty, I'll bet you get hit on all the time" and "I wanted to talk to you but I was too intimidated" and "I see you walking from there, where do you work?" and "You need to stop being so cool" and gave me his email address and told me to email him. Nonstop. So on the third day I made a point not to put myself into a situation where he could talk to me, even though he tried several times to get my attention, and by the fourth I just made sure I missed that bus. I just don't feel like being in a situation where I need to tell someone to stop flirting with me.

Anyway, I think my boyfriend's upset now. My cowoker says I need to be careful about people noticing my routes. I agree. I already have pepper spray. My boyfriend says I should just steal a car to stop riding the bus. I don't know, I don't think I should be too scared to ride public transportation. In Fight Club the guy gets rid of his car to be more zen, and I get that. It took a car accident for me to get rid of my car, and I think I'm better for it. I'm thrust into a world of new experiences, and I'm having to use the muscles of my body to survive, even if for only a mile a day. I actually use the energy from the food I eat. Before, I was sinking deeper and deeper into a sedate lifestyle and it was killing me. That's not living. Well so I don't wear low-cute shirts or skirts. I should always have a pair of tennis shoes to wear for the walk to and from the bus when I plan on wearing less sensible shoes for work. I should always carry my pepper spray in my pocket and an umbrella in my hand (so I can beat someone with it). Maybe I should start taking aikido again too? I know my boyfriend always liked the idea of dating a ninja.

2 comments:

Amichai said...

Though female ninja's are extremely sexy, I don't know if you really need to go that far (and nunchucks take up far more space than your pepper spray in a purse). Most people are harmless even if they are annoying. I would just suggest a T-shirt that says "I used to be a Man." over a gender reassignment clinic's logo.

Those who pursue you after that would at least be more interesting than the stupid frat boy types that bug you now.

Annonymous said...

lol :)