Friday, June 03, 2005

It's gonna be all right.

No, it's not! People, it is not socially acceptable to bathe yourself in either patchouli or other herbal-based scented oils immediately before entering an enclosed space with about 30 of your fellow human beings. The bad thing is that I used to wear those sorts of oils years ago and so I spend the entire 1 hour ride coughing, sneezing, and terrified that I didn't throw the bottle of patchouli oil out but in fact it's been waiting somewhere in my drawer, has been crushed and has seeped all over my clothes so that actually I am the one causing the terrible odor. It's for this reason I do not make a conspiratorial joke about the smell to the quiet girl sitting next to me, because I think her glances at me are in fact accusing me of causing all the problems and I just don't know it. So you see, not only is the smell causing respiratory problems for fellow passengers but also extreme mental anguish, and therefore such scented oils should carry a worse fine than smoking. At least smoke smell goes away soon after entering fresh air, but I get patchoili scent particles stuck in my nose for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Amichai said...

I once dated a girl who showered (or so it seemed) in patchulli, and when we broke up I wanted to yell, ala John Cusak in High Fidelity:

"Get your Patchulli stink out of my store!"

And even now, after many washes I still think I catch a wiff of it on my clothes that once graced the floor of her bedroom.